Release Notes 0.5.8
Attack Forts in "Bastion"
"Bastion" is a new mode where you attack or defend forts or strategic stations like radar stations and other fortifications. We wanted to toss in some gameplay diversity for high-tier battles, and currently you can try it on the "Atlantic" map. Neutralizing/capturing these key locations results in Domination points, so the mode should be familiar if you've tried "Domination" battles at higher tiers.
To win, a team should be the first to earn 1,000 points by suppressing and capturing enemy fortifications and destroying enemy ships.
Bastion Mode: Fast Facts
- Available in tier X battles (tier VIII, IX and X ships)
- There are certain capture sectors for onshore installations on a map. While these sectors are neutral, the installations do not participate in a battle. Once captured, they start to provide fire support and intelligence service to the team who controls them
- 'The Atlantic' -- the only map where Bastion mode is currently available -- provides two possible settings for capture sectors -- sectors 3 and 4. They are chosen randomly
- Forts and Surveillance stations lose health points when they are hit with main guns, secondary guns and bombs. Dealing damage to Forts and Surveillance stations causes the loss of capture status of sectors they belong to and brings additional domination score for the team
- When a Fort or Surveillance station runs out of HP, it is considered conquered
- Conquered objects are temporarily out of battle and gradually recover their health points. Once recovered, they work as usual
- If Fort or Surveillance station located in enemy's section are conquered, the sector becomes neutral
- Forts and Surveillance Stations have simplified damage models without armor and fire. Any hit influences an object directly in a full scale
- Forts attack enemy ships at the shortest distance to them
- Forts equipped with 406mm artillery guns and 80mm AA-guns. The type of shells (AP or HE) is chosen randomly
- Forts have a limited field of view and perform their best acting together with the Surveillance station, while surveillance stations are able to locate enemy's ships and aircraft, but not torpedoes
- Forts have their certain sectors of fire and dead zones where they cannot shoot enemy's ships
- Hit points: 300,000
- Fire range (main gun): 13km
- Loading time (main gun): 3-5s
- Fire range (AA-guns): 5km
- Average damage per second (AA guns): 77
- Visibility: 10km
- View: 5km (individual), 15 (with allies)
- Full regeneration: 2.5m
Surveillance Stations Characteristics
- Hit points: 9,000
- Visibility: 15km
- View: 15km
- Full regeneration in 3m
New Maps for tiers VII-X:
Sea of Fortune
A location somewhere between France and Great Britain with interesting gameplay situations in all directions. The right flank is ideal for aggressive battles involving cruisers and battleships, while the left flank is suitable for long-range firefights because of the relatively low height of the islands. The center of the map has an important strait passing through it and a small picturesque island with a castle!
A fictional location somewhere near the crossing of sea lanes. "Loop" contains two groups of Portuguese islands in the Atlantic Ocean. Large islands provide opportunities for defense and unexpected breakthroughs. Due to the dense arrangement of the islands, you'll need to plan your route in advance in order to assist your allies.
The matchmaker is responsible for composing teams for a battle. With the new system, we're aiming for a strict balance of the number of top-tier ships in each battle.
The features of the new matchmaker are as follows:
- We're completely excluding situations when opposing teams appeared to have different number of players
- Aircraft carriers on opposing teams will continue to belong to the same tier
Battle tiers exist in every battle and provide the upper limit for the maximum tier of a ship in that battle. These "tops" or "top ships" will be subject to the following rules:
- The maximum difference in the number of Divisions, destroyers, and battleships between each team is limited to one, while the difference in cruisers between teams is limited to two
- The number of top ships will be strictly symmetrical for each ship type: if in a tier VIII battle, one team has two tier VIII battleships, two tier IX cruisers and one tier VIII destroyer. The other team has an identical composition
- The above rule also applies to battleships belonging to a tier that's one step lower than the battle tier. For example, if in a tier VIII battle, one team has one tier VII battleship and the other team also does
The battleship Mikasa is an exception. As the only tier II battleship in the game, she'll be matched with tier II cruisers. While this won't influence game balance, it will noticeably reduce waiting time for Mikasa in a queue.
Please let us know how you feel about these new changes, too:
- The new matchmaker logic does not provide for any 'mixing' of ships by nation -- there could be a theoretical situation where three Japanese destroyers will encounter three U.S. destroyers
- If it takes too long to assemble teams for a battle for whatever reason, battles may be fought between smaller teams with incomplete lineup (11х11, 10х10 etc.)
- Balancing the lowest-tier ships outside of their type is allowed. For example, a tier VIII battle could involve a tier VI destroyer against a tier VI battleship
- Balancing two same-type ships with enemy ships of adjacent tiers is allowed if they are not at the top of the team and if they are not battleships. For example, in a tier VIII battle, a tier VI cruiser could find herself against a tier VII cruiser on the opposing team
- Divisions may include ships of various tiers (low-tier ships are allowed to Division with high-tier ships)
- Enhanced sound configurations
- Option to select voiceover language
- Option to select audio modification
- "National" voiceovers for Commanders
- Option for selecting the Arpeggio voiceovers to be used throughout the entire game
- Option to completely turn off music playback in the Port and/or during a battle
- New music tracks
- Refined the sounds of hits to the ship and to the landscape
- Reworked sound of the stun effect
- Levelled the overall volume of the sound profile for a wide and narrow dynamic range
Your accomplishments will now be tracked in more detail, with ribbons for ricochets, over-penetrations, non-penetrations and more! The "damage counter" will appear during the game and is updated in real time.
In the same advanced mode, a damage counter appears near the obtained badges, updated throughout the entire battle. Please note that this counter doesn't include the damage dealt to onshore objects like Forts. The standard layout of the components was reworked as well. The "Hits to Citadel" badge now appears in black while the "Critical Hit" one comes in yellow to better distinguish between them. We also added two new badges: "Suppressed onshore object" and "Secondary battery gun hits."
Other Interface Improvements
- When the "Vsync" option is switched off, the "Triple Buffering" option can be disabled as well
- We've enabled an option to save all Port chat history during battle
- Added a friendly fire notification for the team members. The notification is displayed at an interval of at least 60 seconds
- Fixed the minimap bug that allowed players to set a waypoint on the landscape when playing an aircraft carrier
- Option to display a survey in the Port, if a player leaves a battle before it ends
- Added automatic Secondary guns/AA turn on in settings if manual priority is set
Enhanced Armor Models
With the recent arrivals of Soviet and German cruisers, we've decided to rework the models for our Japanese and American cruisers, which are a bit older. In some cases, this resulted in the redistribution of around 5% of a ships' HP. In some cases, the improved level of detail on the inclined protective deck and ship's lines increased the chances for armor-piercing shells to ricochet though the armor's interaction with high-explosive shells and bombs won't be affected.
All armored artillery guns, main guns, AA- and secondary guns of all ships.
Exception: main guns of battleships. Those models will be upgraded in a later Update.
Dresden, Emden, Hermelin, Hindenburg, Admiral Hipper, Karlsruhe, Kolberg, Konigsberg, Nurnberg, Roon, Tirpitz, Yorck
(Except the hulls that were initially added in 0.5.6 with a new level of detail.)
Aoba, Atago, Chikuma, Furutaka, Hashidate, Ibuki, Iwaki Alpha, Kuma, Mogami, Myoko, Tenryu, Yubari, Zao
Soviets / Russia
Aurora, Diana, Mikhail Kutuzov, Murmansk, Orlan
Albany, Atlanta, Baltimore, Chester, Cleveland, Des Moines, Erie, Indianapolis, Marblehead, New Orleans, Omaha, Pensacola, Phoenix, St. Louis
Other Changes and Fixes
- Tirpitz: we reconsidered horizontal pointing angles of main guns. As a result, pointing angles of the second the third and the fourth main battery turrets extended at 3, 5 and 1 degrees respectively. The changes became a result of increased accuracy of main guns motion trajectories, which will make the game more comfortable without influencing the ship's balance
- Yubari: health points increased on 400 points (from 18300 to 18700). This change will slightly increase the ship's combat effectives
- Warspite: 2 AA-guns Oerlikon Mk4 were added in accordance with historical configuration. As a result, an average damage of AA-guns within 2 km raised up to 3 points (from 44 to 47)
- Shchors: horizontal pointing angles of main guns were narrowed down in order to fix the bug with her settings that had led to angles dissymmetry.
- (A) and (B): horizontal pointing angles of the third main gun turret were narrowed to 3 degree
- (B): horizontal pointing angles of the first main gun turret were narrowed to 3 degrees
- For a better visual distinction between AP and HE shells, as well as between a player's own and other shells, the tracer color scheme has been adjusted
- Improved the logic of the "Situational Awareness" Skill. From now on, the detection indicator is displayed in all cases when the ship is visible to the enemy team, including the short interval (approx. 3 seconds) which is set between the time of the last detection and the moment when the ship disappears from the location it was spotted
- Optimized method for storing Python scripts, which are now placed in a separate packet. This should reduce the risk of problems with game updates, especially when several versions are released at once
- Content compression in .pkg archives has been introduced. This change will allow us to save your hard drive space
- Improved the system for connecting user interface modifications to the game client. This will allow developers to work more closely with the creators of modifications
Personal Offers in Port
- We have enhanced our Personal Offers mechanism. The changes will have a positive effect on the protection of the game client and allow for more diverse and interesting offers to players
New Tech Testing
- The following ships are now available in the game client for testing by developers and supertesters: Krasny Krym, Scharnhorst, Koenig Albert, Kaiser, Flint, and Black. These ships are not available for purchase and research, but players may encounter them in battle
Minor Changes and Improvements
- Fixed bug that blocked the joining-battle screen for people with an incomplete division, or for the team of a player who refused to join a division
- Fixed bug that caused an indication of the Random battle icon in Co-op battles
- Fixed bug that made some nicknames to be hit by the obscenities filter in combat chat
- Fixed bug that caused a squadron that had just taken off the deck of a destroyed carrier to hang over the water
- Fixed bug that caused an instantaneous launch of a catapult fighter after the death of the previous one
- Fixed bug that didn't allow entry to the game to users who haven't played since the previous Ranked Battle season
- Fixed the tooltip description for the checkpoint in the standby screen for "Standard battle" mode
- Fixed bug with invoicing an extra star from the previous Rank battles season. The current progress of players is not affected
- Svetlana: Fixed bug that in some cases led to a miscalculation of the deck armour
- Kirov: refined the appearance of its main guns turrets
- Ranger: AA Guns Modification 1 was replaced with Secondary Battery Modification 1